WHEN PEOPLE ASK HOW I GOT STARTED or HOW TO GET STARTED AS A MAKEUP ARTIST, THIS IS PRETTY MUCH THE STORY as I have come to grasp the dynamics of the industry. It's a bit scholastic the way I have written things down, so please read a few times to grasp things that are unfamiliar.
I hope my passion still comes through!
I have been doing make-up for 20+ years so I have a lot to share. Hope this will be of some help to you!!!
D O all of the make-up that you can. Offer services for proms, weddings, graduations, showers, dance recitals, local theater productions or any special occasion. How about just because someone is going out on the weekend? I landed a very prestigious client while painting kids faces at a community center on Halloween. Just get yourself out there – you never know!
C o n n e c t with as many photographers in your area as you can to offer your services for test shoots. Test, test, test. You don’t get paid, but the experience is priceless, and you get photos for your portfolio. They'll be more interested if you can provide make-up and hair support. This way you can build your portfolio constantly. Photographers are always ‘in the know’ about local fashion shows. They may be able to get you work at shows they are shooting. Once you start to build a solid portfolio, things can expand from there. Depending on your area, you may be able to find pros that will allow you to assist on assignments – they want some experience too and they look for an impressive portfolio.
S t u d y all the magazine beauty editorials for tips, looks, tricks and trends. Go to Borders and look at the fashion magazines (V, Surface, W, Clear, Zink, Flaunt and etc;) to see the edgy stuff & get real clarity on the perfect merging of industry aesthetic and artistic expression/creativity... very inspirational. Study the differences between make-up for fashion, print, TV, film, portrait, red carpet, weddings, hi-def…
G E T E D U C A T E D! Find courses in your area and enroll. They cost, but some may offer financial aid/payment plans. Fine Art classes on Color Theory are very beneficial. It will open up a whole new world and advance your thinking concerning Make-Up Artistry. Here is a list of makeup artistry education resources:
MAKEUP ARTISTRY EDUCATION & TRAINING
- http://www.beautytech.com/st_boards.htm (US State Boards of Cosmetology)
- http://www.MakeupMag.com/ (Industry, Career, Workshops)
- http://www.ElevateArtists.com/ (DC/Maryland/VA)
- http://www.TheMakeupShow.com/ (NYC, LA, Chicago, Europe)
- http://www.IMATSshow.com/ (LA, NYC, London, Sydney, Toronto, Vancouver)
- http://MUD.edu/School-Site-2010/ (Make Up Designory Schools MUD - LA, NYC)
- http://makeupmag.com/products/cPath/169/item/901/ (Bridal DVD)
- http://www.SamFine.com/ (Global Tour, The Makeup Show, DVD)
- http://madenyc.com/education.html (Kevin James Bennett)
- http://www.THEPOWDERGROUP.com/eventspowdergroup.html (NYC)
- http://www.allaboutfaceacademy.com/ (Nakeah Fuller - LA)
- http://www.DESHAWNHATCHER.com/ (STUDIO D - NYC)
- http://alexisvogelmakeup.com/finish.php (DVD)
- http://beautybyorlando.com/ (Orlando Santiago, Airbrush Workshops - NYC)
- http://wn.com/Airbrush_Makeup_by_Kett_Cosmetics (Videos, DVD)
- http://www.kryolan.com/en/index.php?mnu=3&cid=122#1 (Body Painting DVD)
- http://CRYSTALWIRGHTlive.com/ (Career Advocate - Tours Nationally)
- http://www.EVEPEARL.com/education/ (IMATS, The Makeup Show, DVD)
- http://www.iMakeYouBeautiful.com/ (Danessa Myricks, East & The MakeupShow, DVD)
- http://www.JOEBLASCO.com/blascoschools/index.htm (Special FX - LA, Orlando, DVD)
- http://paintandpowderstore.com/ (HD University - DC/Maryland/VA, DVD)
- http://www.eproimagecourses.com/index.htm (Distance Learning, DVD)
- http://www.atlantainstituteofaesthetics.com/ (Esthetics - ATL)
- http://www.michigancollegeofbeautytroy.com/default.asp (Esthetics - MI)
- http://www.marinello.com/def/main.aspx (Esthetics - CA, NV, UT, OR, AZ)
- http://paulmitchell.edu/ (Makeup, Esthetics - Nationwide)
- http://www.avedainstitutes.com/ (Esthetics - Nationwide)
- http://www.theartofpromakeup.com/ (Teens, Weddings, Fashion/Glamour DVD)
- http://jenniferjamesbeauty.com/Classes.html (NYC, MI, Nationwide & Via SKYPE)
- http://www.debramacki.com/classes.htm (Debra Macki - Nationwide)
- http://www.louisepageacademy.com/ (Louis Page - UK)
- http://www.AdrianVilla.com offers Pro Makeup Classes, Los Angeles & Houston
- http://www.makeupforever.com/news/what-s-new/make-up-for-ever-hits-the-roads.html,9,1,0,0,339 (The MAKE UP FOR EVER PRO ROAD SHOW)
*GOOGLE 'Basic Art Classes' 'Color Theory Class' 'Foundational Art Class' with your zip code to find art classes in your area.*
Though the industry really doesn’t care much about what, if any school that you attended – it’s all about what your training, education & experience shows in your portfolio. Beautiful, clean make-up gets their attention. It’s good to have a mix of high fashion & commercial beauty make-up. It may not always work out, but try to do models/model types with VERY good skin, good bone structure, and even features. Smaller heads/faces photograph the best. Many photographers appreciate you scouting models for shoots, but they generally are in charge of the direction of a photo shoot.
Attend beauty shows that offer make-up classes, master classes and seminars. Admission tickets to these show averages $45-$125 and many classes and seminars are included. MASTER CLASSES are often additional fees of around $100-$200. They are generally smaller sized so that the learning is focused & hands-on. You often need to secure a model to work on for master classes. Go to:
There you will find all the info on several trade shows, locations, exhibitors, presenters, speakers & everything else.
Check with local department & specialty stores for classes/seminars/beauty events as well.
Buy educational DVD & materials by Kevin James Bennett, Sam Fine & Danessa Myricks to name a few. (Google where to purchase them) Seek educational seminars & workshops at the industry trade shows. These can be very helpful as they are often hands-on.
MUST HAVE BOOKS!!! Most Available at Amazon > http://amzn.to/9VXefi
- Francois NARS - Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself (April 5th, 2011)
- Kate De Castelbajac - Face of the Century, 100 Years of Makeup & Style
- Ruth Winter - Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Terms
- S. O'Connor, A. Spunt - No More Dirty Looks: The Truth A/B Beauty Products
- Randy Schueller - Beginning Cosmetic Chemistry
- F. E. Basten, R Salvatore , P. A. Kaufman - Max Factor's Hollywood
- Andre, Maibach & Barel - Handbook of Cosmetic Science & Technology
- Lise Manniche, Werner Forman - Sacred Luxuries...Cosmetics in Acient Egypt
- Cheryl M. Burgess - Cosmetic Dermatology
- Virgina Vincent - Makeup, 1930s Beauty Instruction & Technique
- IMAN - The Beauty of Color
- Kevyn Aucoin - Making Faces, Face Forward, The Art of Makeup
- Richard Corson - Stage Makeup
- Reggie Wells - Face Painting
- Sam Fine - Fine Beauty
- Bobbi Brown - Bobbi Brown Beauty, Makeup Manual
- Scott Barnes - About Face
- Gretchen Davis & Mindy Hall - The Makeup Artist Handbook
- Francois Nars - Makeup Your Mind
- Linda Mason - Makeup: The Art of Beauty
- Jana Ririnui & Lan Nguyen - Makeup Is Art
- Linda Mason - Eye Candy
- Robert Jones - Makeup Makeovers
- Way Bandy - Designing Your Face
- Jemma Kidd - Makeup Masterclass
- Taylor Chang-Babaian - Style Eyes
- Todd Debreceni - Special Makeup Effects For Stage & Screen
- Crystal Wright - Hair, Makeup & Fashion Styling Career Guide
- Crystal Wright - 30 Days @ 100%
- Rae Morris - Makeup: The Ultimate Guide
*Most available on Amazon*
Go to http://www.ElevateArtists.com & follow @ElevateArtists @Studio400 @TheMakeupWorld @ThePowderGroup on Twitter for comprehensive education from TOP INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS.
EDUCATION! Seek classes like Architectural or Interior Design, Art History, Color Theory, Anatomy from institutions in your municipality. They can be very helpful & inspirational to makeup artists. COLOR THEORY IS A MUST!
Top Make Up Artists in the industry: As you look at their work, you will know what level you need to rise to. These are the artist that I look to as setters of the STANDARD because they consistently are exemplary of INDUSTRY AESTHETIC!
http://www.viktorijabowers.com (unbelievable body of work)
http://www.ralphsiciliano.com (simply genius)
http://www.lotstar.com (extraordinary & legendary in her youth)
http://www.illamasqua.com (ALEX BOX is one of the most incredible artists - EVER)
http://www.makeupbytym.com (no words to describe)
http://wwwkevynaucoin.com (the greatest ever, RIP)
http://www.billybbeauty.com (Art & mastery with pageantry! Mary J. Blige, PINK, Lady Gaga...)
http://www.myspace.com/patmcgrathmakeup (Top MUA for the fashion world, truly AMAZING)
http://www.jamesvincentmakeup.net (truly amazing artist, experienced &insightful) http://www.lazarusthemakeupman.com/ (exquisite talent, humble, beauty makeup genius)
Get a website as soon as you can afford it; most TOP MUAs have some variation of the web designs in the ones I mentioned above. http://www.webphotomaster.com is a great avenue for a professional site for makeup artists & hair stylists.
Invest in the books on my MySpace page and read them cover-to-cover. Refer to them always. There is so much to learn. This is the cheapest route to furthering your education. www.Myspace.com/JenniferHJames
Make sure you have all of your tools, supplies and make-up so that your kit is super tight. Smashbox, CoverFX, NARS, Nixie, Make Up For Ever, Urban Decay, Face Atelier, Dermablend, Camera Ready Cosmetics & Inglot all have pro discount programs. ULTA Beauty has tons of fabulous make up & don’t forget to check their clearance bins! SEPHORA has beyond what anyone would need to put together a master’s kit. At the local drugstore? Yes, wonderful make-up: IMAN Cosmetics, Black Opal, L’Oreal, L’Oreal HIP, Milani, Prestige, Lumene`, Wet n Wild and Rimmell.
I love Smashbox, Make Up For Ever, NARS, IMAN Cosmetics, Ben Nye, Face – Stockholm, Urban Decay, Face Atelier, Graftobian, CoverFX, Kryolan, OCC Cosmetics, Inglot Cosmetics, Ellis Faas Cosmetics, Too Faced, Mehron, Black Opal, Cinema Secrets, Shu Umeura, Bobbi Brown, Kevyn Aucoin and Temptu. All professional quality make-up artists’ cosmetic lines.
This is THEE website for a truly comprehensive, expert guide to what you should have in your PROFESSIONAL KIT. Kevin James Bennett is an Emmy Award winning globally respected MUA with an impressive resume` as long as his leg: http://www.kjbennett.com and/or http://www.inmykit.com. KJ has an awesome blog too: http://makeup-me.kjbennett.com/ The information that he has to share is absolutely incredible and unending! GET TO KNOW HIM & READ HIS BLOG REGULARLY!
Check these sites for make-up boxes, brushes, tools, supplies.
http://www.eyeslipsface.com (All products priced at $1, $3, & $6)
Down the line after education and years of experience: Find agencies that represent MUAs, and also eventually join the local union if you wish to work in TV & film. Make-Up Artist's Magazine has all of this info as well as networking opportunities. Subscribe for $35/year. For a fee, you can also list yourself on national registry by joining www.thepowdergroup.com.
This list is comprised of several TOP Representative Agencies for stylists (Make Up Artists, Hair Stylists, Nail Technicians, Wardrobe Stylists, Photographers). Their rosters are exemplary of STANDARD INDUSTRY AESTHETIC. This list will help you become familiar with how things are at the pinnacle of our craft & serves as a guide. These agencies represent many of the TOP MAKEUP ARTISTS AROUND THE WORLD. Getting on an assistant roster at one of these agencies requires years of hard work and dynamic body of work, a very strong portfolio, & some great PR skills. Some agencies will interview for assistants, thought not likely on a cold call - but via recommendation! So make sure you are networking to establish a strong presence at whatever level you are. Definitely worth your while to be pursuing assisting MUAs at this level. It is immeasurable in value to honing of the craft, your learning of industry protocol & career advancement.
Crystal Wright is the industry's leading expert on advancing careers in our arena. Go to her website for information on her seminars, books & DVDs. Her Packaging Your Portfolio Workshop is touted by many successful MUAs as career/life changing. http://www.CrystalWrightLive.com
Join these Internet forums:
http://www.specktra.net (regular people and Pro MUAs)
http://www.makeupartistchat.com (Pro MUAs)
They have TONS of useful info and helpful people. You can also find info about getting professional discounts (30%-40%) from pro cosmetics companies.
Register with www.angelswhoblush.com. There you will find in depth video tutorials on different looks and techniques. Many are free and there are more intensive materials available for purchase (books, DVDs)
TOPS on YouTube: Just a few, I’m sure you have your faves!
Here is a template for a standard Beauty Services Contract. You can cut & paste, then tweak as necessary:
Sample Services Contract (copy/paste & tweak to your specifications)
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE
MAKEUP/BEAUTY SERVICES AGREEMENT
This agreement dated________________, between YOUR COMPANY NAME & ADDRESS HERE sets forth that YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE is an independent contractor providing Makeup/Beauty services utilizing the facilities of/provided by CLIENT NAME HERE________________________________ (address/name/date of event here) Agreement (s) made are solely for the purpose of providing _____________________ (Makeup Services - or Specialty Services as indicated in detail below).
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE will collect deposit in the amount of $_____ from CLIENT NAME HERE to hold the date and arrange for staff availability.
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE agrees to perform Makeup/Beauty Services consisting of & including:
for ______ persons at a rate of $______ (which includes deposit). FULL BALANCE OF FEES is due ______ days prior to
event date. BALANCE OF FEES will be accepted in the form of/as ______ & CLIENT NAME HERE understands & agrees
to DEPOSIT & FEE BALANCE stipulations set forth by YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE unless otherwise indicated.
Specialty Services: Brow Arches, Individual Lash Applications, Body Make-Up, Tattoo Cover, Hair Styling Support or Stylist Services will be determined as required by client and additional fees will be charged accordingly by YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE.
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE will set amounts of all fees for services rendered.
This agreement is in effect from _____________________ to __________________. Either party may immediately terminate the agreement, given reasonable cause, as outlined below:
• breech of ethical standards
• violations of the terms of this agreement; or
• exposure by either party to liability because the other party has failed to live up to the requirements of this agreement. In addition, either party shall have the right to cancel the agreement by providing written notice to the other party at least ___ days prior to proposed event date & YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE reserves the right to deposit retention.
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE will:
1. Act in a professional manner, dress in a professional manner & assures that any additional staff will also comply.
2. Set up is done ____ minutes to one half hour prior to event, as arranged with host prior to event.
3. YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE will provide all the necessary cosmetics, products & items for the services we provide.
4. YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE will provide references upon request to CLIENT NAME HERE.
5. YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE will maintain confidentiality of all client information.
CLIENT NAME HERE will:
1. Turn in signed contract in a timely manner, read and agree to its terms by __/__/____.
2. Provide details of use of facility (including a safe, private work area), its utilities and it’s services, including electrical outlets, tables & chairs if available.
If for any reason CLIENT NAME HERE wishes to cancel agreed upon Makeup Services from YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE, client understands that deposit is completely non-refundable. YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE agrees to return any additional fees paid by CLIENT NAME HERE excluding deposit in the instance of cancellation by CLIENT NAME HERE. Client Signature here X________________________________________________________________
If for any reason YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE should cancel rendering of agreed upon Makeup Services for CLIENT NAME HERE, client understands that deposit is completely non-refundable. YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE agrees to return any additional fees paid by CLIENT NAME HERE excluding deposit in the instance of cancellation by YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE. Signature here X________________________________________________________
Both parties, CLIENT NAME HERE, YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE agree that cancellation by either party must occur ____ days before event/date of services for CLIENT NAME HERE to retain right to full deposit refund.
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE reserves the right to retain ANY, ALL DEPOSITS & FEES paid by CLIENT NAME HERE if CLIENT NAME HERE fails to cancel services ____ days before event/date of services.
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE agrees that fees charged fully cover all costs incurred in the performance of professional services, additional staff & everything necessary to render services for CLIENT NAME HERE unless otherwise indicated. If special circumstance exist where any additional fees are required for requested services or staff by CLIENT NAME HERE - additional services & fees shall be specified & agreed upon by ____ days before event/date of services.
The aforementioned parties agree that any unresolved disputes about the terms or enforcement of this agreement shall be resolved through arbitration. The non-prevailing party shall be responsible for paying all arbitration costs, unless the arbitration finds partially for both parties, in which all the parties shall each be responsible for half the costs of arbitration.
This constitutes the entire agreement between the parties and replaces any and all prior written or verbal agreements. Should a court of competent jurisdiction consider any part of this agreement unenforceable, the remainder of the agreement remains in force. This agreement is governed by the laws of the state of _______________.
CLIENT NAME HERE: Initial X__________ YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE: Initial X__________
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE, YOUR NAME HERE, Date
Client signature Date
Client Street Address
City State Zip
Contact Phone # --------------------------
Amount of Deposit Received $______ Date Received : __/__/____
Sample Fee Schedule (copy/paste/tweak to your specifications)
Fees: ￼Three hour minimum on all bookings. In the event the booking exceeds the time booked, time is billed in 15 minute increments according to the studio clock. Length of booking must be specified in advance and full time booked must be paid for, whether used in its entirety or not.
Rates: A day rate consists of eight consecutive hours with a half hour lunch break. Time and a half will be charged for time booked before 9:00 a.m., after 6:00 p.m., time exceeding eight hours and anytime on Saturday. Double Rate will be charged for Sundays and Holidays. Please Note: Rates vary according to the type of job, project budget and the stylists' level of experience.
- Hair and Make-Up: First 3 hours $75.00 - $150.00 per hour Additional Hours $75.00 - $150.00 per hour | Half Day $400.00 - $750.00 | Full day $800.00 - $5500.00
- Stylist: First 3 hours $75.00 - $100.00 per hour Additional Hours $75.00 - $175.00 per hour | Half Day $400.00 - $750.00 | Full Day $800.00 - $5000.00
- Wardrobe/Set Dressing/Pulling/Returning: Hourly $75.00 | Half Day $500.00 | Full Day $750.00 - $1200.00
All rates are negotiated on a per job basis. An advance for materials (approximately one third of budget) is requested. The remainder will be due in full upon completion of job.
Propping: The agency requests that the client or advertiser sign a propping and expense agreement which makes the client responsible for all damaged or non-refundable items: anything bought, rented or borrowed by the stylist on behalf of the client. The exception being if the damage is caused directly by the stylist.
Expenses: It is understood that any expenses to be incurred by the stylist while arranging for or purchasing props must be paid prior to propping/pulling. In the event a job is booked on short notice, we ask that a cashier's or certified check be issued to the stylist in order to avoid possible delays in preparation for the job.
Discrepancies: Any on-set discrepancies should be reported to the agency prior to job completion. Client
Responsibilities: - Advise the agency of any extraordinary conditions or requirements.
- Provide adequate preparation facilities in studio or on location.
- Provide wardrobe stylist for on figure print bookings with all pertinent size information prior to pulling garments.
I think I covered everything, if not, feel free to contact me again.
Hope this helps.
Take good care and always remember…
EVERYONE THAT DOES MAKEUP DOES NOT POSSESS ARTISTIC ABILITY PER SAY, not everyone can be solely self-taught NOR CAN YOU LEARN EVERYTHING FROM MAKEUP HOBBYISTS & ENTHUSIASTS ON YOUTUBE!!! Getting tutelage & hands-on educational instruction from experienced, skilled makeup artists is a must... EVEN FOR THE ARTISTICALLY TALENTED AMONGST US. Get thicker skin because sometimes what you NEED to hear is not what you may want to hear-it's all towards your growth. If you can line up with an experienced mentor, that's a definite plus.
Commit to it, study the masters, know the history, memorize the chemistry, understand the impact, learn something new every day, read the blogs, see all of the beauty editorials, know your market, assess your competition, work the longest & hardest, create things you have never seen, diversify your opportunities, brand yourself, do great work, know your best skills, practice to improve your weaker skills, seek educational advancement...
MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
IF LOVE WHAT YOU DO & DO IT WITH PASSION, SUCCESS IS INEVITABLE!